LENS initiatives highlighted in CERN Courier
27 APR 2020
The CERN Courier has published a policy piece by LENS Chair Helmut Schober, Director of Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL), that highlights the enormous potential for growth in Europe’s world-leading neutron science ecosystem.
The essay emphasises the essential contributions neutrons will make at each stage of the innovation chain that will drive the coming green wave of technological development in Europe.
In spite of last year’s closures of research reactors in France, Germany and Norway that have set back Europe’s neutron capacity, Schober is optimistic about the future of neutron science. In the essay, he sketches out the necessary components for a healthy future that include:
- Securing the scientific, technical and economic futures of ILL, the UK’s ISIS Neutron & Muon Source and the FRM-II reactor at Munich’s Heinz-Maier Leibnitz centre for neutron research;
- ensuring the rapid ramp-up of operations at the European Spallation Source;
- and developing the compact accelerator-based neutron source (CANS) initiatives at CEA-Saclay and the Jülich Centre for Neutron Science.
Recent News & Events
- Science & Policy Event: important role of European Research Infrastructures in the framework programmes for research and innovationThe event showcased the key role of European Research Infrastructures in contributing to solve the most urgent global challenges, including energy storage and viral threats.
- REPLAY | LENS Webinar #7 on ‘Multiplexing backends for neutron spectroscopy’ with Rasmus Rasmus TOFT-PETERSEN (DTU/ESS)Join us for the next LENS Webinar, with Rasmus TOFT-PETERSEN to learn about the the various implemented multiplexing concepts at neutron facilities.
- REPLAY | LENS Webinar #6 on ‘Neutron Diffraction Instrumentation for stress determination’ with Thilo PIRLINGJoin us for the next live, interactive LENS Webinar, with Thilo PIRLING to know more about the selection and optimization of the different mechanical and optical components of a dedicated stress diffractometer.
- Enjoy the replay of this successful webinar and discover how neutron scattering studies can contribute to the fight against pathological microbes.
- Analytical Research Infrastructures of Europe join forces to face COVID-19 and other viral and microbial threatsAfter a joint position presenting their plan to tackle HE Missions, the ARIE enhanced its cross-border, multidisciplinary collaboration to offer Europe a strong and valid weapon against the present COVID-19 challenge and other potential viral and microbial threats.